CSU Learn is a Learning Management System (LMS) adopted by the California State University. CSU Learn allows our campus to assign and track compliance training courses in addition to providing access to over 75,000 online lessons, videos, e-books, and classes for professional development.
Employees can access CSU Learn by clicking the link below and logging in with their SSU credentials, or via the SSU Online Services portal by clicking on the CSU Learn tile. Note that new employees will have access to CSU Learn and be assigned training approximately three days after hire.
- Only use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browsers on a computer. CSU Learn does not work on Internet Explorer, Safari, or Microsoft Edge
- CSU Learn is not compatible on mobile devices.
- Ensure your pop-up and ad blockers have been disabled and keep any background windows open so that CSU Learn can accurately measure and record your progress.
CSU Learn Assistance
For assistance with CSU Learn, please visit the Cal State Training Resources website or the "Training" section of the Frequently Asked Questions page of the Human Resources website. Please email email@example.com if additional support is required and include any relevant information such as training course name and screenshots.
CSU Learn/SumTotal is fully accessible. The CSU and SumTotal are committed to a universal user experience and have made tremendous strides in this area. If you have any questions regarding the accessibility statement, please reach out to the L&D team at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can assist you.
The California State University requires that employees take certain courses to comply with state and university requirements that are driven by federal law, state law, or CSU Policy. All Sonoma State employees, including faculty, staff, and student employees, are required to complete compliance training courses on CSU Learn as part of their job duties. While there are several compliance trainings which are required of all Sonoma State employees, employees may be assigned additional trainings based on their role, job, or other factors, such as use of a Procurement Card. Training completed at another CSU campus can be applied to requirements at Sonoma State- email email@example.com for more information.
CSU Learn automatically assigns and tracks training. Employees will be notified by email when a training has been assigned or is due to be retaken. Employees can also monitor their training by logging directly into CSU Learn via the SSU Online Services portal page and checking their assigned learning tab and their training transcript. New employees gain access to CSU Learn approximately three days after their start date and will receive notification emails once they have access.
Employees on leave are not required to complete training, but should consult with their Appropriate Administrator to complete training upon their return.
Please review the information below on required training courses. Note that this list is not exhaustive and is subject to change.
Chancellor’s Office Required Training
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interest assigned to designated COI employees, due every two years
- Clery Activities for Campus Security Authorities assigned to Campus Security Authorities, due annually
- Data Security and FERPA assigned to all employees, due every two years
- Discrimination and Harassment Prevention Program for Supervisors assigned to all MPPs and Administrators, designated Leads, and all non-MPPs who currently or have the ability to lead or supervise co-workers or students, due every two years
- Discrimination and Harassment Prevention Program for Non-Supervisors assigned to all non-MPPs/Administrators who do not qualify to take the Supervisor version
- Gender Equity and Title IX assigned to all employees, due annually
- HIPAA: Protecting Patient Privacy assigned to those who have access to protected medical information, due annually
- Injury Illness Prevention Program assigned to all employees, due every three years
Environmental Health and Safety Required Training
Please contact Sonoma State's Environmental Health and Safety department for questions on EHS training and requirements.
- Back Safety and Injury Prevention assigned to all employees, due once upon hire
- Defensive Driving Fundamentals assigned to all staff, due every four years
- Ergonomics in the Workplace assigned to all employees, due once upon hire
- Fire Safety and Prevention Program assigned to all employees, due once upon hire
- Hazard Communication assigned to all employees, frequency varies depending on position
- Heat Illness Prevention Program assigned to all employees, frequency varies depending on position
- Storm Water Pollution Prevention assigned to all employees, frequency varies depending on position
Sonoma State University Required Training
- SSU Absence Management Self Service Training for Employees assigned to all employees, due once upon hire
- SSU Absence Management Self Service Training for Managers assigned to all MPPs, due once upon hire
- SSU Policies and Programs assigned to benefits eligible employees, due onc
CSU Learn is more than just compliance training. SSU Employees have access to over 75,000 online lessons, videos, e-books, and classes! Employees can brush up on their Project Management skills, further their understanding of Excel, strengthen their business writing abilities, work towards a professional certification and more. To get started, check out some of the opportunities below.
All sessions are 10-11am
“Psychological Safety: The Key to a Collaborative and Healthy Hybrid Workplace”
CSU Cross Campus Collaboration
Registration is now open for all fall semester CSU Cross Campus Collaboration professional development workshops!
With the shift to online learning, many classes previously offered in-person have gone virtual giving the CSU a unique opportunity to extend classes beyond the campus border. Join colleagues from other CSU campuses to access exclusive instructor-led professional development workshops held live via zoom. To register, click the hyperlink(s) on the attached flier, then click the “Register” button in CSU Learn and follow additional on-screen prompts to complete registration.