When salaried employees voluntarily resign from the University, retire or depart prior to the end of temporary appointments, the campus clearance process should be completed. Temporary intermittent employees ending their appointments on time will go through clearance within their own departments.
Employees can choose to pay out vacation accrual or to run out prior to separating from the University. Employees with temporary appointments cannot run vacation accrual beyond appointment end date.
Employees providing at least 72 hours advance notice of their intent to resign or retire will receive their final paycheck on their last day of employment. Employees who resign or retire with no advance notice will be provided their final paycheck no later than 72 hours after their last day of employment.
Employees who are separated from employment by the University will receive their final paycheck on their last day of employment.
For further information or questions regarding this process, please email HR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus Clearance Process Flow
- Notify Approprate Adminstrator (AA) of intention to resign or retire
- Provide written resignation (not required for retirement/end of appointment separation)
- Fill out online Departing Employee Information Form, and print the resulting Employee Clearance Checklist.
- Update mailing address in self service for W-2 to be sent at a later date
2. Appropriate Administrator
- Provide employee with the separation guidelines
- Notify Human Resources of employee's intention of separation
- Forward employee's written resignation to Human Resources
- Start departmental clearance process
3. Human Resources
- Confirm separation with employee and appropriate administrator
- Process separation
- Conduct exit interview, in person, or via email
On the Last Day of Employment
4. Appropriate Administrator
- Collect department property, such as laptop
- Forward phone or setup "out of office" messages
- Transfer departmental information to shared drive from employee desktop
- Sign-off on Employee Campus Clearance Form, Department Section
- Go to SeaWolf Services Center in person
- Return university keys, parking permit, and employee ID card
- Stop payroll deduction for parking permit
- Complete and submit the printed Employee Clearance Checklist to HR.
Campus Clearance Responsibilities
It is the responsibilities of the departing employee to:
- Provide as much advance notice as possible of his/her intent to separate from the University. Two weeks' notice of resignation is considered appropriate, except for MPP positions.
- Provide written notification of intent to resign to Appropriate Administrator (AA)
- Submit online Departing Employee Information Form to start the campus clearance process
- Submit the final Absence Report for approval at least 72 hours prior to the last day of employment
- Coordinate with AA to return department properties and forward information to appropriate parties when necessary.
- Communicate with pertinent campus departments to return University property, including procurement card, gym locker and library material
- Update mailing address or forwarding address via self service for W-2 purpose
- Schedule an in-person interview with Human Resources.
- Return employee ID card, keys, parking permit and cancel payroll deductions for parking in person at SeaWolf Service Center.
- Print out, sign and submit the completed Employee Campus Clearance Checklist to HR on the last day of employment.
The Appropriate Administrator (AA) of the departing employee should:
- Contact Human Resources upon receiving employee’s notice of his/her intent to separate.
- Forward employee’s written resignation to Human Resources as soon as possible.
- Provide the employee with a copy of this document (Guidelines for Separation from Employment).
- Approve final Absence Report
- Work with the departing employee to forward phone. Transfer all necessary information from employee’s desktop to shared drive. Setup “out of office” message for employee’s voicemail.
- Terminate employee’s access to any department subscription or third-party systems. Employee’s email and PeopleSoft access will be automatically terminated upon separation.
- Remind the employee to return the following items on or before their last day of work to:
- Seawolf Services: university keys, university parking permit, and employee identification card
- IT Help Desk: multi-factor authentication (MFA) token
- Procurement and Contract Services: ProCard
- Employee's department: departmental properties(e.g., laptop)
- Prior to employee’s last day of work, ensure that all departmental obligations are met.
- Complete the Employee Campus Clearance Checklist - Department Section
Human Resources will:
- Schedule an in-person exit interview upon request. Exit interview will provide an opportunity for the employee to communicate his/her views about the job, the department, and the University.
- Provide information and necessary forms for COBRA, retirement plan, and/or final wages.
- Arrange for last day parking permit if needed
- Review signed Employee Campus Clearance Checklist and complete separation transaction
Pertinent Campus Departments:
Submission of the online Departing Employee Info Form will trigger notification to pertinent campus departments. It is the responsibilities of these departments to follow up with the employee to collect university properties as well as needed information to process the employee’s separation.
Seawolf Services will be responsible for collecting university keys, employee ID card, and parking permit. Upon receiving these items, Employee Campus Clearance Checklist will be signed by a Seawolf Services Representative.